Healthy Ways to Spice Up Your Water
Water is an essential part of any healthy diet and a great source of hydration without calories, sugar, fat, or sodium. It’s just a shame that water doesn’t have much of a flavor. Sure, it can curb your appetite and prevent dehydration, but enjoying your food and drinks is also important. Adding a lot of sugar or flavorings isn’t the solution either.. So, is it possible to make water taste better without making it unhealthy?
Adding Fruit or Vegetables
A classic way to add flavor to water is with a bit of fruit. Most restaurants will give diners the option to have water with lemon, for example. While you may want to skip the lemon wedge in the restaurant, it can definitely add a nice zing of flavor at home. The same is true of other fruits, especially ones that are particularly juicy. This could include oranges, strawberries, berries, kiwis, or any other of your favorite fruits. .
There are also vegetables that can add a bit of flavor to your water like cucumbers and zucchini. As an added benefit, you’ll also get some of the nutrients along with the flavor!
Using Fresh Herbs
Fresh herbs can also make your water tastier. Mint or basil are especially nice as their flavors work well with water without being overpowering.
In this case, fresh herbs may work better instead of dried herbs for two reasons. First, much of the flavor will come from crushing or gently soaking the herbs to coax out the herbaceous oils. Dried herbs require soaking for some time to have a similar effect. Second, dried herbs can have a gritty texture and may create an unpleasant mouthfeel unless you use a teabag.
There are two general ways to make herb water. One is to add fresh herbs to the water and crush or let them soak. The second is to boil the water and add the herbs so they can steep like tea.
Tea is another excellent option for making your water better. Tea has been a popular drink for thousands of years, originating in China before making its way to Europe and beyond. Most of us have made tea before, but if you haven’t, it’s super simple (unless you want to get into the milk first or last minefield).
Simply place a teabag in a mug and pour hot water to allow the tea to steep until your desired strength. If you’d prefer cold tea, you can add a few ice cubes or place it in the fridge. Tea can offer you different flavors, different levels of caffeine, and even some health benefits, as we’ve covered before.
Sparkling or Fizzy Water
The biggest issue with water is that it’s a bit boring. Adding flavor may fix that sometimes, but usually it’s still a bit dull. That’s why the fizziness of soda can be a nice change. You can get this without the sugar and calories by switching to sparkling water. While sparkling water may not be adding a great deal of flavor, bubbly water may help you feel more satisfied.
Some sparkling waters and seltzers even have flavors, though some of these come with sugar and calories so be sure to read the label.
Finally, there are several flavor add-ins you can find at the grocery store. Some are even calorie- and sugar-free. Another benefit of these is the wide array of flavors they can offer you, from fruit punch to pina colada and beyond.
If you’re a big soda or juice drinker and looking for a way to cut back, these are an excellent option to help you scale back. It’s worth remembering, however, that not all flavor add-ins are sugar- or calorie-free. Some can even be quite high in sugar so make sure to read the label before you buy.
● ● ●
Water can be refreshing, cooling, and essential, but it’s not exactly fun or delicious. For anyone trying to hydrate more, you might need to get clever to get more water into your diet. The best part is that many of these solutions can work together! Try some mint and cucumber water for a refreshing, delicious summer cooler or add a few flavor drops to some sparkling water. The options for experimentation are endless, so go nuts and don’t forget to hydrate!
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Lucerne
- Is Expensive Cookware Worth It?
- The Drug Prices Medicare Can Directly Negotiate
- Does Medicare Ever Cover Cosmetic Surgery?
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Barcelona
- How Does COBRA Work with Medicare?
- Different Ways Medicare Can Cover Drug Costs
- All About Enrolling in Social Security
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to the Madrid
- Does Medicare Cover Open-Heart Surgery?
- Exercise Tips for Summer
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Lisbon
- Hosting a Safe Summer Barbecue
- Senior Summer Barbecue Tips
- Does Medicare Cover Biopsies?
- 5 Foods to Avoid if You Have High Blood Pressure
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to the Finger Lakes
- Does Medicare Cover Endoscopies?
- Ways Seniors Can Recover from a Workout
- Is Chocolate Healthy for You?
- Understanding Adult ADHD
- How Does Medicare Cover Hypertension?
- The Symptoms and Treatment of Parkinson's Disease
- How to Determine What Temperature to Use When Cooking
- Eating Healthy on a Budget
- Keeping Fit on Vacation
- Is Your Tonsillectomy Covered by Medicare?
- Tips for the Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Kitchen First Aid Tips
- What Does FDA-Approved Mean?
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Guide to New York City
- How to Caramelize Onions
- Why Do We Celebrate That? April Fools’ Day
- Medicare and Powers of Attorney
- The Essential Role of Eggs in Cooking
- What are Different Types of Complementary
and Alternative Medicine?
- Tips for Remembering to Take Your Medicine
- What is Medicare Part E?
- Building Your Basic At-Home Senior Gym
- How to Make Stovetop Popcorn
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to New Orleans
- How to Navigate & Read Academic Articles
- Phytonutrients: What Plant Color Says About Nutrition
- How to Prevent or Reduce Inflammation
- Osteoporosis: Risk Factors, Signs, and Treatment
- How to Make Homemade Pretzels
- Researching Your Ancestry and Family Tree
- How Medicare and Social Security Work Together
- What is Nordic Walking?
- Food Questions You've Been Embarrassed to Ask
- How Medicare Changed for 2023 and Beyond
- Tips for Using a Microwave
- How to Clean Your Ears Safely
- Skiing as a Healthy Hobby for Seniors
- 3 More Great Places to Celebrate New Year's Eve
- Why Do We Celebrate That? More New Year's Eve Traditions
- Panettone, the Italian Christmas Dessert
- A Simple Homemade Gingerbread Recipe
- How to Make Christmas Decorating Jollier
- The Science of Winter Weight Gain
- Seasonal Picks: 3 Foods You Should Try This Winter
- 5 Tips to Make Getting Your Christmas Tree Stress-Free
- Show-Stopping Potato Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Boeuf Bourguignon
- Holiday Travel Tips to Reduce Stress
- Does Medicare Cover Pain Management?
- Is Hunting a Healthy Senior Hobby?
- Ways You Can Get More Politically Involved
- What are Medicare's Lifetime Reserve Days?
- Spooky Spots for Seniors Halloween 2022
- How to Make Soul Cakes for Halloween
- Jack O' Lantern Carving Tips for Halloween
- Easy Ways to Peel a Potato
- 2023 Social Security COLA Largest in Decades
- Exercise Tips for Autumn
- How to Make Candy Apples at Home
- Why are Medicare Insurance Sales Calls Recorded?
- Here's What Medicare Costs in 2023
- CMS Updates Medicare Enrollment Rules for 2023
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to London
- Does Medicare Cover Insomnia Treatment?
- Healthy and Easy Homemade Dog Treats
- The FDA Finalizes Ruling to Increase Access to Hearing Aids
- What the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 Means for Medicare
- Tips to Make Flying and Airports Less Stressful
- CMS Projects Lower 2023 Part D Average Costs
- The 15 Golden Rules of Airplane Etiquette
- How Often Should You Shower?
- What are Medicare Pilot Programs?
- How to Care for Your Cast Iron Cookware
- Confronting a Loved One About Hurtful Behavior
- What Does Creditable Coverage Mean for Medicare?
- Using Za'atar in Your Cooking
- Dealing with Canceled Flights
- Protecting Your Vacation from Flight Disruptions
- Do Pre-Existing Conditions Affect Medicare Coverage?
- Which is Better: A Bath or Shower?
- Are Weight Loss Medications Healthy?
- Healthy Strategies for Anger Management
- The Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- The Difference Between Common Cooking Papers and Foils
- What are Medicare I-SNPs?
- Identifying Toxic Relationships in Your Life
- Healthy Ways to Spice Up Your Water
- All About Medicare Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans
- Medicareful Travels: A Senior Guide to All-Inclusive Resorts
- Does Medicare Cover Occupational Therapy?
- Lower 2023 Medicare Part B Premium Could Be on the Way
- Which is Better: Natural or Artificial Sweeteners?
- Tips for Vacationing with Pets
- Is It Better to Work Out Harder or Longer?
- Tips for Traveling with Your Pet
- Are Medicare Part B Giveback Plans Worth It?
- Introducing the Medicareful Living Family Cookbook!
- Medicare Coverage for Treatment of PTSD
- The Causes and Treatments of Nasal Congestion
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Spring Rolls
- Medicare Freezes Late Enrollment Penalties for Qualifying Enrollees
- What is a 5-Star Medicare Plan?
- What is PTSD?
- What is Inflammation?
- What You Should Know When Buying Cast Iron Cookware
- Does Medicare Cover STIs?
- The Different Types of Potatoes & When to Use Them
- Does Medicare Cover HIV Screenings and Treatment?
- Gun Safety Rules for Seniors
- 3 Surprising Ways to Feel Better When You're Sad
- Can Your Knee Really Predict the Weather?
- What are Federally Qualified Health Centers?
- Does Medicare Cover Incontinence Treatment?
- The Health Benefits of Cumin
- How to Make Dried Herbs at Home
- The Dangers of Toxic Positivity
- Which is Better: Fresh or Frozen Meat?
- COVID Tests to be Covered by Medicare
- Important Terms and Tips When Reading a Health Article or Study
- Do These 3 Most Common Natural Supplements Actually Work?
- What are State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs?
- The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise
- The Difference of Cooking with Fresh and Dry Herbs
- Dangers of a Cold Home for Seniors
- Measuring Your Health Apart from Weight Loss
- Using Cumin in Your Cooking
- This Year, Focus on Health, Not Weight
- Does Medicare Cover Respite Care?
- Health Benefits of Gift-Giving
- How to Make Homemade Candy Canes
- Why Do We Celebrate That? Classic Christmas Tree Decorations
- 3 Classic Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Cooking for Beginners: Frying Tips
- Why Do We Celebrate That? Hanukkah Traditions
- The Value of Family Recipes
- What Does It Mean to be a Caregiver?
- Here’s What Medicare Costs in 2022
- Can I Prevent Aneurysms or Ruptures?
- How Can I Trust My Insurance Agent Has My Best Interests at Heart?
- Using Chinese Five Spice in Your Cooking
- What You Should Know About the COVID Booster
- Spooky Spots for Seniors Halloween 2021
- What Does MACRA Mean for You?
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Homemade Lobster Ravioli
- Reading and Understanding Your Blood Pressure
- How to Be a Snowbird in Retirement (18 Questions to Ask!)
- Learn the Basics of Medicare | Medicare Basics
- Understanding Medicare Part D’s True Out-of-Pocket Limit