2023 Social Security COLA Largest in Decades
Each fall, the Social Security Administration (SSA) releases their Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA), which adjusts Social Security checks that millions of Americans rely on for their income. They decide this number based on several factors that they track throughout the year, and then implement the increase in January.
Now that the 2023 COLA has been released, what is it and what does it mean for you?
What Is the COLA for 2023?
Today, October 13, 2022, the SSA announced the 2023 COLA, and it’s historically large. Coming in at 8.7 percent, the COLA is roughly in line with the predictions, making it the largest COLA in more than 40 years by percent increase and the largest dollar increase ($144) in history.
What Does This Mean for Me?
This is great news for seniors, who are looking at a major increase to their monthly Social Security checks. How much can you expect?
|Type of Benefit||2022 Average||2023 Average|
2022 and 2023 estimates come from the 2023 Social Security Changes fact sheet. All are based on estimates for exemplary purposes only and may not reflect your 2022 or 2023 Social Security benefit.
It’s worth mentioning that this COLA is an estimate, and that inflation affects different areas of the country unevenly. Inflation may be higher in one area than others or certain products (like gasoline or milk) may be more expensive near you than somewhere else. In that case, the COLA may not cover the cost-of-living increase for you as much as it would for those in other areas. The opposite could be true, where you may get a greater spending boost from your COLA if inflation isn’t as large where you live.
What Does This Mean for Medicare?
Generally, the annual COLA is very important to the costs associated with Medicare, especially Medicare Part B. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) utilize the COLA as a guide for health care costs for the following year. This means that depending on the COLA, the cost-sharing of Original Medicare may increase. The Medicare Part B premium is almost directly influenced by the COLA considering the premium increase cannot be larger than the COLA. If it is, you can be held harmless, which freezes your premium at the previous year’s amount. For more information, read “Why Did My Medicare Part B Premiums Change?”
This year is a bit different, however. CMS didn’t need to take the COLA into account this year due to major savings that Medicare experienced the year before. This allowed CMS to announce the costs of Medicare in 2023 on September 27, 2022, before the COLA had even been revealed. This is unlikely to be the norm moving forward, so we can expect next year’s COLA to be influential in Original Medicare’s costs once again.
A Historical Comparison
The 2023 Social Security COLA is the largest since 1981, which is surprising when you put this increase into context. As you can see from the table below, the COLA has rarely gone above 4 percent with the lifetime average of 3.6 percent. This COLA is more than double the lifetime average. The average is further inflated by the pre-1983 COLAs. In 1983, the SSA changed the COLA formula, which explains why the earlier COLAs were so large compared to those after. Comparatively, the COLA from 1975 to 1982 averaged 8.7 percent, compared to 2.65 percent between 1984 and 2022. (There was no COLA in 1983).
Even compared to the pre-1983 COLAs, 2023’s is quite large. At 8.7 percent, this year is behind only 1980 (14.3 percent), 1981 (11.2 percent), and 1979 (9.9 percent) as the largest COLA ever. As we mentioned earlier, since the Social Security benefit is now larger than it was in those years, the 2023 is the largest dollar amount increase ever.
● ● ●
So, what does this historically large COLA mean for seniors? Simply put, it means more money in your pocket, especially when you consider that Medicare costs aren’t raising at the same rate.
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Lucerne
- Is Expensive Cookware Worth It?
- The Drug Prices Medicare Can Directly Negotiate
- Does Medicare Ever Cover Cosmetic Surgery?
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Barcelona
- How Does COBRA Work with Medicare?
- Different Ways Medicare Can Cover Drug Costs
- All About Enrolling in Social Security
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to the Madrid
- Does Medicare Cover Open-Heart Surgery?
- Exercise Tips for Summer
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to Lisbon
- Hosting a Safe Summer Barbecue
- Senior Summer Barbecue Tips
- Does Medicare Cover Biopsies?
- 5 Foods to Avoid if You Have High Blood Pressure
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to the Finger Lakes
- Does Medicare Cover Endoscopies?
- Ways Seniors Can Recover from a Workout
- Is Chocolate Healthy for You?
- Understanding Adult ADHD
- How Does Medicare Cover Hypertension?
- The Symptoms and Treatment of Parkinson's Disease
- How to Determine What Temperature to Use When Cooking
- Eating Healthy on a Budget
- Keeping Fit on Vacation
- Is Your Tonsillectomy Covered by Medicare?
- Tips for the Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Kitchen First Aid Tips
- What Does FDA-Approved Mean?
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Guide to New York City
- How to Caramelize Onions
- Why Do We Celebrate That? April Fools’ Day
- Medicare and Powers of Attorney
- The Essential Role of Eggs in Cooking
- What are Different Types of Complementary
and Alternative Medicine?
- Tips for Remembering to Take Your Medicine
- What is Medicare Part E?
- Building Your Basic At-Home Senior Gym
- How to Make Stovetop Popcorn
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to New Orleans
- How to Navigate & Read Academic Articles
- Phytonutrients: What Plant Color Says About Nutrition
- How to Prevent or Reduce Inflammation
- Osteoporosis: Risk Factors, Signs, and Treatment
- How to Make Homemade Pretzels
- Researching Your Ancestry and Family Tree
- How Medicare and Social Security Work Together
- What is Nordic Walking?
- Food Questions You've Been Embarrassed to Ask
- How Medicare Changed for 2023 and Beyond
- Tips for Using a Microwave
- How to Clean Your Ears Safely
- Skiing as a Healthy Hobby for Seniors
- 3 More Great Places to Celebrate New Year's Eve
- Why Do We Celebrate That? More New Year's Eve Traditions
- Panettone, the Italian Christmas Dessert
- A Simple Homemade Gingerbread Recipe
- How to Make Christmas Decorating Jollier
- The Science of Winter Weight Gain
- Seasonal Picks: 3 Foods You Should Try This Winter
- 5 Tips to Make Getting Your Christmas Tree Stress-Free
- Show-Stopping Potato Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Boeuf Bourguignon
- Holiday Travel Tips to Reduce Stress
- Does Medicare Cover Pain Management?
- Is Hunting a Healthy Senior Hobby?
- Ways You Can Get More Politically Involved
- What are Medicare's Lifetime Reserve Days?
- Spooky Spots for Seniors Halloween 2022
- How to Make Soul Cakes for Halloween
- Jack O' Lantern Carving Tips for Halloween
- Easy Ways to Peel a Potato
- 2023 Social Security COLA Largest in Decades
- Exercise Tips for Autumn
- How to Make Candy Apples at Home
- Why are Medicare Insurance Sales Calls Recorded?
- Here's What Medicare Costs in 2023
- CMS Updates Medicare Enrollment Rules for 2023
- Medicareful Travel: Senior Trip to London
- Does Medicare Cover Insomnia Treatment?
- Healthy and Easy Homemade Dog Treats
- The FDA Finalizes Ruling to Increase Access to Hearing Aids
- What the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 Means for Medicare
- Tips to Make Flying and Airports Less Stressful
- CMS Projects Lower 2023 Part D Average Costs
- The 15 Golden Rules of Airplane Etiquette
- How Often Should You Shower?
- What are Medicare Pilot Programs?
- How to Care for Your Cast Iron Cookware
- Confronting a Loved One About Hurtful Behavior
- What Does Creditable Coverage Mean for Medicare?
- Using Za'atar in Your Cooking
- Dealing with Canceled Flights
- Protecting Your Vacation from Flight Disruptions
- Do Pre-Existing Conditions Affect Medicare Coverage?
- Which is Better: A Bath or Shower?
- Are Weight Loss Medications Healthy?
- Healthy Strategies for Anger Management
- The Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- The Difference Between Common Cooking Papers and Foils
- What are Medicare I-SNPs?
- Identifying Toxic Relationships in Your Life
- Healthy Ways to Spice Up Your Water
- All About Medicare Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans
- Medicareful Travels: A Senior Guide to All-Inclusive Resorts
- Does Medicare Cover Occupational Therapy?
- Lower 2023 Medicare Part B Premium Could Be on the Way
- Which is Better: Natural or Artificial Sweeteners?
- Tips for Vacationing with Pets
- Is It Better to Work Out Harder or Longer?
- Tips for Traveling with Your Pet
- Are Medicare Part B Giveback Plans Worth It?
- Introducing the Medicareful Living Family Cookbook!
- Medicare Coverage for Treatment of PTSD
- The Causes and Treatments of Nasal Congestion
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Spring Rolls
- Medicare Freezes Late Enrollment Penalties for Qualifying Enrollees
- What is a 5-Star Medicare Plan?
- What is PTSD?
- What is Inflammation?
- What You Should Know When Buying Cast Iron Cookware
- Does Medicare Cover STIs?
- The Different Types of Potatoes & When to Use Them
- Does Medicare Cover HIV Screenings and Treatment?
- Gun Safety Rules for Seniors
- 3 Surprising Ways to Feel Better When You're Sad
- Can Your Knee Really Predict the Weather?
- What are Federally Qualified Health Centers?
- Does Medicare Cover Incontinence Treatment?
- The Health Benefits of Cumin
- How to Make Dried Herbs at Home
- The Dangers of Toxic Positivity
- Which is Better: Fresh or Frozen Meat?
- COVID Tests to be Covered by Medicare
- Important Terms and Tips When Reading a Health Article or Study
- Do These 3 Most Common Natural Supplements Actually Work?
- What are State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs?
- The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise
- The Difference of Cooking with Fresh and Dry Herbs
- Dangers of a Cold Home for Seniors
- Measuring Your Health Apart from Weight Loss
- Using Cumin in Your Cooking
- This Year, Focus on Health, Not Weight
- Does Medicare Cover Respite Care?
- Health Benefits of Gift-Giving
- How to Make Homemade Candy Canes
- Why Do We Celebrate That? Classic Christmas Tree Decorations
- 3 Classic Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Cooking for Beginners: Frying Tips
- Why Do We Celebrate That? Hanukkah Traditions
- The Value of Family Recipes
- What Does It Mean to be a Caregiver?
- Here’s What Medicare Costs in 2022
- Can I Prevent Aneurysms or Ruptures?
- How Can I Trust My Insurance Agent Has My Best Interests at Heart?
- Using Chinese Five Spice in Your Cooking
- What You Should Know About the COVID Booster
- Spooky Spots for Seniors Halloween 2021
- What Does MACRA Mean for You?
- Dishes to Impress Your Friends: Homemade Lobster Ravioli
- Reading and Understanding Your Blood Pressure
- How to Be a Snowbird in Retirement (18 Questions to Ask!)
- Learn the Basics of Medicare | Medicare Basics
- Understanding Medicare Part D’s True Out-of-Pocket Limit